Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Settled in Kijabe

What an experience we have had so far. It seems like a long time ago since we left home. The kids did so well on the very, very long flights. Our connections were great and I was relieved that all bags arrived safely. Some of the highlights of the plane rides were when we were flying across the Atlantic into the sunrise on Sat. am. It was beautiful and the kids were in awe. Another truly amazing sight was looking at the miles and miles of desert from the air. Unbelievable. What an imagination God had when he created the earth. I didn't take exact note, but it seemed to me that of our 8.5 hr flight from London to Nairobi, three quarters of that time was spent flying over Africa!! I never really comprehended how large of a continent it was. Europe seemed so small in comparison. It gave me a renewed appreciation of David Livingstone and all he accomplished in his life!! When we arrived in Nairobi, Brett kept saying, "It's alot nicer than I thought!"

There have been oodles of MK's (missionary kids) around to play with, so my 3 are having a ball. No barriers,just instant friendships. For the most part, I think that they have adjusted well to jet lag. We are all feeling fine,Mom, nobody is sick!!!

We have met some incredibly interesting people so far,doing some interesting things with groups that I have never heard about. Especially at the Mayfield Guest House. I wish I had time to tell abit about them.

The Samaritan's Purse drivers and staff have been wonderful. I am so impressed with the people we have met. I can't describe it any other way than they just are very REAL.

Shopping for groceries on MOnday before coming out to Kijabe was a bit of an adventure. It was hard to know how much to buy and of what as I wasn't sure what all was available here in Kijabe. We don't have a vehicle so can't just drive into Nairobi to pick up supplies.

Carly has mentioned a bit about the house. We have running water but no hot water. I seem to be boiling water on the stove constantly. We do have electricity thank goodness and computer hookup has just been sorted out.

Yesterday, we unpacked after we got here and took a short tour of the hospital. It seems very large and confusing, but I think it is because it is so sprawling. I think there may have been quite a few additions.

Last night we were invited to the anaesthetists house (there is only one here) for supper. It was refreshing and encouraging to see the normalcy of their lives here in Kenya. The kids had so much fun playing with their 5 kids (including 2 adopted African kids),plus two that were there sleeping over night, but were so sleepy, they fell asleep on the 5 min. ride home.

We had to wake Adam up this am to go to the hospital. I've been waking up at 4:30-5:00am so power out in the afternoon. We went to the Ped's ward for devotional time this am and then stayed the morning playing with the kids. There were two Canadian girls there that had spent the last two months volunteering on the ward, but are leaving tomorrow. The chaplain was a lady that great aunt Anna mentioned to me so it was great to meet her and talk about people we both knew.

My 3 did an excellent job of playing with the kids, but said that they wished that they knew Swahili as the kids really don't know English. We may take some lessons while we are here, so it will be easier to communicate with them. The kids are so sweet and content despite their major health problems.

Brett saw some big kids on motor bikes today roaring around. There are 4 boys that live right beside us. They invited us over for tea to visit and the kids played soccer.

We also were invited to a pastor/teacher's house for supper tonight as well. They have a beautiful place overlooking the Rift Valley. Not a view like that anywhere else in the world I'm sure. The boys didn't want to leave to come home they were having so much fun playing with their kids and on the walk home in the dark with our flashlights, both Brett and Adam told me that those women are much better cooks than I am!!!

We did laundry this afternoon. Everything takes much longer in Kenya. It basically took all afternoon. We had meant to go for a walk, but people kept stopping by to visit etc. Relationships are very important here and it is like a subculture all of its own.

The vegetable and fruit lady came by today - Mary. I also had a visit from Peter and Martin. Peter carves out of 3 different types of wood - beautiful carvings and Martin is a painter(oils and batikk). Martin also does pictures from banana leaves.
Very nice gentlemen and very talented. They put alot of work into their craft and don't ask for much for it.

The boys played outside all afternoon today. They helped me hang up laundry, but were content with a soccer ball for the afternoon. They created some goal posts in the front yard. Am thankful that the environment here is safe. I don't worry about them out there by themselves.

It's getting late,Gary needs the computer and I will have to answer emails another night. Weather has been very pleasant, breezy, raining at night and the odd spit during the day.

Lori

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home