Saturday, March 11, 2006

phone call from Aunt Anna

Well tonight my Great Aunt Anna called from Caronport. I hadn't seen or spoken to her for a very long time, so it was great to hear from her. She spent many years at Kijabe teaching English and Religious Education at both RVA and the Girls Intermediate School there. In fact she was there the first year that the Girls school opened. I think she said that she went to Kijabe in 1949! She was last there in 1978 when she got married and moved to Caronport. I was attending Caronport at that time and could look out my dorm window and see my Great Uncle and Aunt's house across the lawn!
She remembers one of the Dr.'s that are still there when they first arrived in Kijabe as a young physician. Much has changed since she lived there, but I told her that I wished we could take her along with us. She was really happy to hear that the kids are going along too.

The kids were trying on their rain coats and sandals to make sure that everything still fits from last summer! Had to get a new bathing suit for Carly though and Adam's sun hat is way too small! We have added sunscreen, bug repellent, an umbrella, flashlights and some food packets to the growing pile in the basement.

Tonight I got together all of the copies of passports, flight itinerary, Kijabe phone numbers and addresses and Mombassa address and phone numbers to leave at home with family and Jenna the housesitter.

It's difficult to pack summer clothes and sunscreen into a bag when we keep getting snow and more snow. Today we drove out to Blue Mountain for the Biathlon Provincials (Carly and Brett were competing). The highway was very icy. Saw 3 or 4 vehicles in the ditch and the gravel road heading north was very heavy with snow. We had to stay in the rut or else.....I was glad that Gary was driving. I kept my head down and knit up a storm. It would have been too nerve wracking to watch!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home