Monday, November 09, 2009

A note from Adam

Hello again,
Here's the events of the past few days according to me - Adam.
On Friday morning, with Mercy Ministries, we went to a school for the deaf in Cotonou.  It was not what I expected.  I expected a very large room with lots of children in it on little kiddie seats facing the teacher and watching his sign language.  Instead, I saw a courtyard with a big building and we went in to one of the classrooms.  There were lots of children there.  They were attentive and we had lots of fun.  One of the ladies taught them a bible story.  Then we did a coloring page with the children.  They showed me which colors to use on what people.  They were very helpful, even though we couldn't talk with them.
 On Sat. morning, we went to the craft market.  Again, it was different from the craft markets I've seen in other countries.  I found some pillow cases with the logos of all the different kings of Benin on them.  I found lots of wood sculptures of all different shapes and sizes.  I found a couple of music makers and some jewelry and bead work.
The person who drove us to the craft market, sets up "Settlers of Catan"  every weekend.  It was really fun playing that game with other people.

5 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,
I am enjoying reading about your adventures. I can't imagine being deaf and never hearing music as it is one of my greatest joys. Do these people ever clap rhythms or do anything related to sound even though they are deaf?
Bernadette

 
At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Adam said...

I actually don't know. I doubt it. That would be a wonderful program for them to have someone come and teach them some of those things.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds good Adam, didn't know you liked Settlers. I will have to beat you at it sometime, just like I do your sister.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

that was sent by me. sorry

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Broman said...

hey adam i love all your stories i am reading your blog! BROLIN.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home