Friday, October 12, 2007

MAF



A large part of the work here involves flying into and out of the jungle. The airport here is the third busiest in the country despite a population of Shell of only 8000 people. The weather changes so frequently. The mornings are often clear and the snow-capped mountains in view. the clouds roll in by late morning and there is frequently a raging thunderstorm by late afternoon. Navigation aids are few, mountains are high and conditions unpredictable.

For a glimpse into the like of a jungle pilot, Sean Cannon maintains an active blog with lots of pictures and accounts of flying with MAF in Ecuador. It's worth a look.
http://jungleaviator.blogspot.com
If you want a short You Tube experience of flying into some jungle strips Sean has posted some here.
Takeoffs and landings in the Ecuadorean jungle
Not only does MAF supply pilots, they also try to bring teachers to the bases from which they fly as many missionaries come with school-aged children. Jeremy and Jodie made initial contact with MAF April 15th, 2007 and by August they were unpacking in Ecuador and settling in with their 4 children. Jeremy stays at home with the 2 pre-schoolers while Jodie teaches at the Nate Saint school. There are so many remarkable stories.

Lori and the kids went swimming today (a National holiday) with one of the other families. They had a great time as many of the other mission families had the same plans. They came back non the worse for wear other than a little "green" hair. I guess that means that the water should be safe.

I had some cases to do this afternoon so celebrated here with some Doritos and Coca Cola. Some things are the same everywhere.
Gary

1 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger Robbie said...

Hey Gary! You don't know me. My name is Robbie Murdoch and I go to the same church as the Michaluk family in Langley, BC.
I am in Ecuador right now and I was informed that you were looking for a translator. I have plans to enter the jungle with a missionary from Quito on Wednesday, but I have no plans for Monday or Tuesday. If you would like I could come out and help you with anything that you might need. I don't spek perfect Spanish, but I do speak it quite well and, with the aid of a dictionary, I can say almost anything that you would need. Let me know if you would be in need of my help by sending me an e-mail at robbie_murdoch25@hotmail.com.
I will be arriving at Shell on Monday at about 9am if you need me and will be at Lloyd Roger's house. I'm not sure if you know who that is, but his house is the big red one right accross the street from the MAF airport.
Take care and God Bless,
Robbie Murdoch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home