Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday -last one here

I think Carly and Gary have caught everyone up to date on what we've been doing.
Yesterday was a highlight for me. It was a lot of fun (except the getting up at 5 a.m. part). 18 of us met at the hospital. Carly and I, two nurses, two doctors, a pastor and some music and kids workers from the church, an eye doc and helper all fit into 3 vehicles. We brought some clean water, medicine, eye testing equipment, snacks and a pot of chicken!! Traveled 2 hours to a poor, small area where we ran a clinic all day. The kids are so adorable. Every chance I got, I tried to convince them to come and sit on my lap. They were quite shy at first but by mid morning, I think I had them won over and then had shadows the rest of the day. The little 4 year olds were better soccer players than Carly and I and we lost!
We thoroughly enjoyed the worship service in both Shuar and Spanish and Manual preached up a storm. I had an interpreter so caught most of the message. I couldn't help the tears from coming to my eyes as I watched them worship in earnest. I just kept thanking God that His word had reached these people. The first ever Christian in this community only became a Christian 2 years ago through the death of her son and her consequent stay at the Shell hospital. Now whole families are coming to the Lord. When you think about the sacrifices that others have made here to spread the Gospel only in the last 50-60 years, it is an amazing and wonderful thing.
I loved the people we met and was sorry to say good bye at the end of the day. They have no pastor and no church but they do meet regularly and rely on someone to come in to teach them. How I would have loved to have been 20 years younger and live among them.
At noon, we gathered in a cook house and were fed a delicious lunch. They sang Happy Birthday to Carly in Spanish and everyone gave her a big hug. It was pretty special. They did it with so much enthusiasm and without reserve.
On the way home, we stopped at a lookout where we could see the jungle for miles and miles. It was an awe-some sight and difficult to catch on camera the magnitude and magnificence of it all. The various shades of green and to think that so many people inhabit that space that just looks like thick trees and vines.
It was a great day and we were so privileged to be asked to come along. The hospital truck had some extra cargo coming home as the people had brought what precious little plantains, cassava, papaya and yucca they could, to give as gifts to the medical staff. One feels almost guilty for accepting it, but we have a lot to learn about generosity don't we?
Today, the kids and I went to church. Gary had a couple of interesting cases at the hospital to do. Kids played outside with friends and we ran through our presentation of the Good Samaritan that we are going to do at chapel tomorrow a.m.
We later went for ice cream up town and phoned home to touch base with the kin..
Alot of the missionary moms were next door in the concha playing games this afternoon, so went over and had coffee and snacks with them.
I am almost done the book, "Mission to the Headhunters" and love it. It would be a book I would love to read again.
Carly and I have bites on our legs that are red, swollen, weeping and very!!! itchy. WE look a mess. Guess that will be our souvenirs from Ecuador.

Lori

1 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing all your pictures and hearing more about your experiences there in Ecuador. Hope the bites heal up by the time you get home. It's still gorgeous here - no snow - yeah!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home